Bali Government Will Provide Free PCR Tests For Citizens
For those of you with COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with a confirmed patient, you can now take advantage of a free PCR test in Denpasar courtesy of the Bali provincial government.
Bali Health Agency Chief, Ketut Suarjaya, announced the free service yesterday, which will be open everyday from 8am to 11am at a regional health lab located on Jl. Angsoka No. 12, Denpasar city.
Participants are required to bring their KTP (ID card) or a proof of residence in order to use the service.
“The important thing is they exhibit symptoms or were in close contacts with a COVID-19 patient, even if they are from outside of the region they can still participate in the program,” Suarjaya said.
There are no limits to the number of people who can partake in the program, as officials hope to strengthen their testing and tracing efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus, he added.
Health experts have criticized the government’s transparency on testing and tracing since the onset of the pandemic, which many deemed to be severely lacking given the country’s large population. (coconuts.co 18/05/2021)
Travelers now subject to random swab tests upon entering Bali
Authorities in Bali will be conducting random COVID-19 swab tests at the province’s various ports of entry starting tomorrow, as the number of incoming travelers is expected to increase following last week’s Eid holiday in Indonesia.
“So we will check everyone who enters Bali, we will check their papers, their temperature, and then we will also conduct random antigen rapid [tests],” Indra, who heads the traffic directorate at the Bali Police, said today.
The procedure will apply in Gilimanuk and Padangbai ports as well as Ngurah Rai International Airport from May 18 to 24, Indra said, to prevent COVID-19 transmission on the island.
Should anyone test positive for the coronavirus, officers will direct them to a quarantine facility maintained by the regional government.
“But we will also look at the situation on the ground, if there are still a lot of people traveling beyond those dates, then we will continue to check,” Indra added. (coconuts.co 18/05/2021)
Bali Travel Ban Has Been Extended By Seven Days
The Indonesian Police Department has announced that the current domestic travel ban has been extended for seven more days.
The Head of Operations from the Police Department, Kombes Pol Rudy Antariksawan confirmed that the travel ban is extended until the 24th of May 2021. “The domestic travel ban that was planned to end by the 17th of May has been extended until the 24th of May 2021.” Kombes Pol Rudy said on Friday (14/5). He also said that any caught violating this policy will be sent home.
As The Bali Sun previously reported the central government decided to implement this travel ban policy to prevent a surge of Covid-19 cases during the holiday season, especially when the preparation of reopening the international travel corridor is in its final stages. Kombes Pol Rudy also explained that the officers are prepared with 381 different guard houses that are spread out to ensure that no one can travel while the ban is in place.
Meanwhile, The Head of the Indonesian Police Department, General Listyo Sigit Prabowo stated that the travel ban policy was implemented to reduce Covid-19 transmission, especially to senior citizens who have higher risk of having stronger symptoms once they are infected. “I just hope that the people can understand the current situation that we’re facing. This policy was made to protect our people, especially the senior citizens, so the mortality rate from Covid-19 could be reduced.” General Listyo concluded.(coconuts.co 17/05/2021)
Bali Vice Governor Confirms Border To Reopen By July
Bali Vice Governor Cok Ace has confirmed that the island’s borders will reopen to international visitors by July of this year. With new variants of Covid-19 detected in Bali, speculations of extended border closures began circulating. However, Cok Ace has just stated that reopening plans remain intact.
As The Bali Sun previously reported, the new variant from England and South Africa was in fact transmitted into Bali. That being said, Cok Ace confirmed that despite the presence of these new variants, the plan to reopen the international travel corridor is still on track.
“The central government has confirmed that the plan to reopen our border is not affected by the transmission of those new variants.” Cok Ace said on Monday (10/5).
He also explained that the central government, through Health Minister, Budi Gunadi Sadikin, has stated that they’re still focusing on their target of reopening the Covid-19 Free Corridor by July.
“We’re also currently preparing everything that is related to run the program such as receiving tourist visa holders into the island with insurance,” Cok Ace added.
Meanwhile, the vice governor also predicted that the influx of international visitors this year would not be as large as people expect.
“We previously expected India and Singapore to start allowing their citizens to travel to Bali when the border reopens, unfortunately, the current situation in those countries makes it impossible to do so. For now, we’re really expecting Chinese tourists to contribute to our economy at this time” Cok Ace concluded. (coconuts.co 17/05/2021)
Canadian man deported from Indonesia over ‘disrespectful’ tantric orgasm event
A Canadian national held responsible for a “tantric full body orgasm” session planned for last Saturday has been deported from Indonesia, after officials deemed the event “disrespectful” to local customs.
Head of the Bali office for the Ministry of Law and Human Rights Jamaruli Manihuruk said at a press conference yesterday that the offender, identified by his initials CKM, had been staying in Indonesia on a visitor permit.
The event, which was initially posted on Eventbrite, was scheduled for May 8 from 10am to 6pm, with participants charged €20 (US$24) to attend. The event page hinted on an intensive sexual education to reach “orgasmic awakening,” highlighting how “your brain focuses on cumming – not your body,” and said participants will be able to take their orgasms to “a deep level.”
CKM told immigration authorities that the event itself did not involve sex, noting its difference with genital orgasm and emphasis on breathing techniques. In addition, the event was reportedly planned a while ago but he’d forgotten to take it down. CKM is not a certified yoga instructor, nor does he carry a permit to work in Indonesia, Jamaruli said.
“This yoga event is very much in contradiction with Indonesian culture, especially culture in Bali which closely holds traditions and religious norms,” Jamaruli said.
As such, officials deemed that CKM has violated the 2011 Immigration Law, which sanctions those who are deemed to have disturbed public order or disrespected and disobeyed local regulations. The 38-year-old was then subjected to deportation and placed in Indonesia’s immigration blacklist.
Jamaruli said that more than 150 foreign nationals have been involved in immigration cases since 2020, a number of which have garnered public attention and went viral.
“As a tourism destination Bali welcomes world travellers … but the tourists that we receive are dignified tourists who are respectful of the laws in Indonesia and the community values in Bali,” Bali Governor Wayan Koster said. (coconuts.co 15/05/2021)
A College Student Has Died After Getting Run Over By A Truck In Bali
A 22-year-old college student named Ni Putu Sari Suriani from Rendang, Karangasem has lost her life after getting run over by a truck on Thursday evening (6/5) around 9:30pm.
The Head of Klungkung Traffic Accident Officer, Ipda IB Ketut Wardana confirmed that the woman who has just finished her study at Bali International University in Denpasar has died after an incident that occured on Jalan Flamboyan Semarapura, Klungkung. “The victim was rushed to the hospital, but unfortunately she didn’t make it after suffering severe injury from the incident.” Ipda Wardana said.
According to information from the witness, the incident occured when an unidentified car began to drive after a stop at a minimarket. But the driver of the car was allegedly unaware of another vehicle behind him before he started moving from the side road. At the same time, the victim who rode a motorbike was startled when the car began to move without giving any signal. As a result, Suriani crashed into that car and fell to the right side of the road.
Unfortunately a truck that was being driven by Wayan Adiyasa (aged 27) came up the road from the south and ran over the victim. Moments later, after realizing that he had just caused an accident, the driver of the car decided to flee the scene. Police officers are now trying to find the suspect by collecting information from the scene. “We’re still checking out the CCTV’s around the area in order to find information about this man from the registration number of his car.” Ipda Wardana concluded. (thebalisun.com 16/05/2021)
Bali Hotels Suffer Amid Travel Ban
The Indonesian Hotels and Restaurants Association (PHRI) for Bali has confirmed that Ubud has received zero bookings during the holiday season in May 2021.
The Head of Gianyar PHRI, Adit Pande said that during the Eid Al-Fitr holiday season this year, the hotels and restaurants in Ubud recorded almost zero reservations since Wednesday (12/5). This crisis has occurred in result of the travel ban policy that was implemented by the central government.
“All hotels in Ubud were affected by this travel ban policy as governments restricted people from travel during this annual holiday season.” Pande said. He also explained that before the Covid-19 pandemic struck, Ubud was one of the most popular places visited by domestic travelers, although many of them preferred to stay in the southern area such as Kuta and Jimbaran.
“Most domestic tourists usually only visit a couple tourist attractions in Ubud such as the Monkey Forest and our restaurants. Only 20 to 30% of them stayed in Ubud as they preferred to stay in the southern areas.” Pande added. Pande admitted that he’s unable to do anything to help the tourism sector in Ubud, but encourages everyone to comply with the President’s instruction. “We really want the situation to go back to normal as we’ve been facing this crisis for over 1 year since the pandemic struck, but the decision was made and we have to comply.” Pande concluded. He also proposed the central government provide another solution to this problem in order to help the tourism sector revive from this crisis. (thebalisun.com 18/05/2021)