Bali gets hundreds of oxygen concentrators following supply crisis
There’s a collective sigh of relief in Bali after the province received hundreds of oxygen concentrators from the central government, following an oxygen crisis officials confirmed only a few days ago.
Earlier today, Bali Deputy Governor Tjokorda Oka Artha Ardana Sukawati told reporters that oxygen supply is gradually improving for the island.
“As of today, [oxygen supply] is better. And the most important thing is that we got help, in the form of 264 oxygen concentrators,” the official, popularly known as Cok Ace, said.
The concentrators have been delivered to hospitals with the most urgent need for the machine, he added, pointing to Sanglah General Hospital and Bali Mandara Hospital.
Last week, Bali Health Agency Chief Ketut Suarjaya sounded the alarm for the region’s oxygen supply.
“We’ve had an oxygen shortage since July 14, and it’s getting critical by the day because of a surge in new cases,” Suarjaya said on Friday, as quoted by state news agency Antara. ”There’s an oxygen crisis in Bali.”
Suarjaya’s statement on Friday came only a couple of days after he reassured that there wasn’t a shortage of oxygen supply, merely delays in deliveries, following reports that private hospitals in Bali have begun to turn away patients due to unreliable oxygen supply.
On Thursday, patients in Bali reportedly needed over 113 tons of oxygen, but hospitals had only around 40 tons readily available. The official said that high demands in Java have impacted the supply of oxygen for Bali, especially with daily new infections continuing to rise.
The province recorded its highest daily caseload yet last Friday, with 1,407 cases. Today, it reported another 1,078 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of people in treatment to over 10,000 patients. (coconuts.co 26/07/2021)
Police arrest 7 debt collectors for gang assault and murder in Denpasar
Seven men were arrested for the alleged assault and murder of a man in Denpasar, who was reportedly killed in broad daylight.
The aftermath of the incident went viral on social media last week, with clips showing the victim, identified as 34-year-old MD, lying dead on a street in West Denpasar after he was slashed. Police investigation over the weekend led to the arrest of seven debt collectors affiliated with a local lending company.
In a press conference yesterday, Denpasar Police Chief Jansen Avitus Panjaitan explained that the incident began on Friday afternoon, when four people claiming to be debt collectors from PT BMMS paid a man named KW a visit at his boarding house (locally known as kost) to take away his motorbike in lieu of his missing debt payments.
KW and the men agreed that they would go to the company’s main office, and KW went there accompanied by his brother, MD. It was here that the two were beaten up as they both tried to escape. However, the suspects caught up with MD and slashed him in the middle of the road.
“That is where the slashing occurred with a sword-like sharp weapon by WS,” Jansen said, identifying the main suspect by his initials.
Police also found other weapons in the office, he added.
Jansen said that people approached by debt collectors due to late payments during the pandemic can ask for assistance from the authorities. He said that police will continue investigation on lending companies that employ illegal coercive practices.
According to Jansen, confiscation of personal property can only be executed with an official warrant from the court and through an established mechanism.
The suspects have been charged with assault and murder under Indonesia’s criminal code, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 15 years. (coconuts.co 27/07/2021)
Nusa Penida Residents Are Required To Show Proof Of Covid-19 Vaccination Before Entering Bali Mainland
Officials from Nusa Penida’s sub-district government has announced that the Covid-19 vaccine has become an entry requirement for its people in order to gain access to Bali mainland.
The Head of Nusa Penida Sub-District, Komang Widiasa Putra confirmed that this policy was initiated to boost the Covid-19 distribution that is still considered low in Nusa Penida island. “We were forced to implement this policy that will be starting on Friday (23/7) to increase the people’s enthusiasm in joining our Covid-19 vaccination program in Nusa Penida.” Komang said on Wednesday (21/7).
Komang explained that many Nusa Penida residents are still reluctant to receive the Covid-19 vaccine as most of them are afraid of the symptoms that might appear post vaccination. “Only 61% of our residents were vaccinated, while we need to reach at least 70% before achieving herd immunity from the virus.” Komang added. He also said that most of the people who haven’t received the vaccine are the senior citizen. He reminds the people to visit the nearby vaccination site in order to receive the right information about their physical condition through a proper medical examination by the doctor whether they could receive the vaccine or not.
Apart from the port as the main access to the mainland, Covid-19 vaccination certificate is also a requirement for Nusa Penida residents in order to receive any public services from the officials of Nusa Penida sub-district. “Apart from the entry requirement, people who refuse the Covid-19 vaccine won’t be able to receive any public services. And for the people who were physically incapable of receiving the injection due to some health issues must show a proof that is declared by a doctor.” Komang concluded (thebalisun.com 27/07/2021)
Level 4 Partial Lockdown Now In Effect In Bali
Bali provincial government has implemented a level 4 partial lockdown with some leniency for local businesses.
Bali Governor, I Wayan Koster confirmed that the partial lockdown that was supposed to end on the 26th of July 2021 has been extended for another 8 days with several adjustments.
“As a governor, I totally understand that many people were affected by the implementation of the partial lockdown, which had a massive impact on their economic activity. This is a tough decision, but we must do it in order to reduce Covid-19 transmissions on our island.” Koster said.
In accordance to the governor’s decree Number 12 Year 2021 about the implementation of a level 4 partial lockdown, the partial lockdown has been extended with some leniency such as :
– traditional markets that sell non-essential products are allowed to operate with 50% of capacity until 4:00pm
– street vendors, barber shops, laundry services, and other small businesses are allowed to operate until 9:00pm
– restaurants and cafes are allowed to provide dine-in services with only letting each customer to stay for maximum 30 minutes
– Dine-in services at restaurants and cafes are allowed to operate with 25% of capacity until 9:00pm
Koster reminds that apart from the economic activity, health and safety must be at the top of the government’s priority during this Covid-19 pandemic.
“Safety has become our main priority at the moment, especially with this Delta variant from Covid-19 which could be transmitted faster through family and offices.” Koster concluded. (thebalisun.com 27/07/2021)
Reoffender Arrested For Producing Narcotics In Denpasar
A 48-year-old man named Sam To from Riau has been arrested for producing large amounts of narcotics at his house in Denpasa
The Head of the Denpasar Police Department, Kombes Pol Jansen Avitus Panjaitan confirmed that the suspect was arrested on Wednesday afternoon (14/7) during his attempt to sell the narcotics in Denpasar.
“We finally arrested the suspect after receiving some information about a transaction that he attempted to make in the Kerta Petasikan Housing Complex on Wednesday afternoon.” Kombes Pol Jansen said during a press conference on Thursday (22/7).
Prior to the arrest, the officers began their investigation after receiving many reports about suspicious activities around the suspect’s house that is located on Jalan Tukad Balian, Denpasar.
“On Wednesday afternoon, our officers spotted the suspect on a motorbike around Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai. And when the officers attempted to pull him over, the suspect threw a small bottle of ecstasy on the side road as he attempted to speed away.” Kombes Pol Janses added.
Shortly after, the suspect was arrested and the police began to search his home in Denpasar. During their search, the police seized 286 ecstasy pills weighing 92.92 grams along with equipment used to produce the drug.
During the interrogation, the suspect who also just recently finished jail time in December 2020 for similar offences admitted that he has been operating this illegal business for 4 months, and has been distributing his products in the Denpasar area.
“He admitted that he learned how to produce the pills from the internet, but we are still trying to investigate other potential suspects as it is also illegal to distribute one of these drugs raw materials without a doctor’s prescription.” Kombes Pol Jansen concluded. The suspect would potentially face more than 20 years of imprisonment and USD 700,000 (IDR 10 billion) fines to be held responsible for what he has done. (thebalisun.com 27/07/2021)
Bali to start producing own oxygen supply next month, governor says
The oxygen crisis in Bali may have spurred the regional government to finally start thinking ahead, as Governor Wayan Koster announced plans for the province to begin producing its own oxygen supply next month.
“This pandemic situation has taught us to start producing [oxygen] on our own and not be dependent on outside resources,” Koster said at a press conference yesterday.
The governor has reportedly instructed hospitals in Bali to start buying machines or generators, so that they don’t have to buy from outside sources in the future. According to Bali Health Agency Chief Ketut Suarjaya, one generator costs about IDR5 billion (US$344,481).
Bali has been relying on oxygen supply from producers in neighboring Java island, deliveries of which have been delayed due to increasing demand amid escalating COVID cases across Indonesia.
Last Thursday, patients in Bali reportedly needed over 113 tons of oxygen, but hospitals only had around 40 tons readily available, illustrating oxygen shortage that had been going on under the radar since July 14. The next day, Suarjaya admitted that Bali is facing an oxygen crisis.
Officials say that oxygen supply is taken care of for the time being, pointing to hundreds of concentrators the province received over the weekend.
“Up until now the oxygen demand in Bali has been met on time,” Koster said.
The worst might not be behind yet, however, considering that Bali has been reporting around 1,000 daily new infections in recent days, with 10,618 people currently in treatment. (coconuts.co 27/07/2021)
Bali Officials Plan To Distribute The Covid-19 Vaccine To Thousands Of Local Pregnant Women
Officials from the Denpasar city government have announced that they plan to distribute the Covid-19 vaccine to thousands of local pregnant women in the near future.
Denpasar Mayor, IGN Jaya Negara confirmed that in accordance with the government’s instruction, Denpasar city government will start distributing the Covid-19 vaccine to around 12 thousand pregnant women in Denpasar. “Despite the current challenges, we still start distributing the Covid-19 vaccine to over 12,000 pregnant women across the city.” Jaya Negara said.
Jaya Negara explained that the city government will prepare a special vaccination site, to separate them from the regular public. “Pregnant women will receive the vaccine in a sterilized room, so it will be a different place from the regular public.” Jaya Negara added. Meanwhile the Head of Denpasar Health Agency, Luh Putu Sri Armini also confirmed that this program will be executed in the near future.
Apart from distributing the Covid-19 vaccine to pregnant women, Armini will also accelerate the vaccine distribution to Denpasar children from the age 12 to 17 years old. “We will also be more focused on distributing the Covid-19 vaccine to around 67,000 children in Denpasar by creating a school-based vaccination program.” Armini said. She claimed that the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine distribution to Denpasar children will be finished by the end of July 2021. “We hope that this program will make our children immune to this virus, especially before reopening in-person learning at our schools.” Armini concluded. (thebalisun.com 27/07/2021)