During the past six months a number of articles have appeared in the Bali Advertiser highlighting the many projects that the Rotary Club of Bali Seminyak has been involved in during the past few years. This specific article explains another important aspect of Rotary International, programs for young professional adults (Rotaract) and secondary school students (Interact).
What is a Rotaract Club? It is a service organization for young adults between the ages 18–30 that focuses on the development of leadership in their communities and workplaces. Club members should become responsible citizens, learn about leadership and team building skills, exchange ideas with community leaders that promote international peace and understanding. And most importantly – have fun doing volunteer work for community service projects.
The Rotaract Club of Bali Seminyak (RAC Seminyak) currently has 15 energetic members who meet twice a month at the Doremi Excellent School located in Renon to discuss their activities and projects.
During the past three years, the RAC Seminyak members have developed a program entitled L.I.G.H.T. (Literacy, Go-Green and Health) program. They have visited four different primary schools in Kerambitan, Tabanan with the idea of sharing their knowledge and encouraging the students to become better learners.
- Literacy (Bahasa: Pohon Literasi). The club members encourage students to read for fun / pleasure. They will build a ‘Literacy Tree’ and ask the students to put a leaf on the tree with the title of the book they have read. This part of the program will be made possible by the generous donation of 300 – 600 library books from the RC of Bali Seminyak.
- Go-Green. The members will explain to the students about the different kinds of trash and how it should be separated and thrown into different containers (Organic, Inorganic & etc.). Furthermore, to assist the school with this part of the program the members will donate three containers to the school. Following the introduction of this activity, the members will play a game with the students with the aim to clean the school grounds.
- Health. The members will demonstrate to the students how to brush their teeth properly. Two student dentists will do this demonstration using a model of a tooth. After the demonstration, the students will have an opportunity to show the members what they have learned because every student will be given their own toothbrush and toothpaste.
Finally, the students will be given a short lesson in how to wash their hands properly.
In addition to this ongoing program, the members have organized several professional development workshops and a number of fellowship activities. If you would like to learn more about the RAC Seminyak, please visit their FB page: www.facebook.com/rac.seminyak.
Concerning membership / meeting and times, please contact RAC President Gde Prima Tangkas email@example.com
What is an Interact Club? It is a service club for young people ages 12 to 18 with the purpose of developing leadership skills while discovering the power of Rotary International’s motto: ‘Service Above Self.’
What are the benefits for the students?
- Take action to make a difference in a school and community
- Become a leader in a school and community
- Discover new cultures and promote international understanding
- Have fun and make new friends from around the world
During the past year the Doremi Excellent School (DES) Interactors have discussed and made plans for some the of following projects:
- Make an organic garden at DES
- Plant trees near DES
- Read to DES preschool and primary students
- Clean up the area around the DES Neighborhood
- Clean up the a Park or Beach
- Visit an orphanage
By RCBS Charter President T. Patrick van Kampen, Ph.D. and RAC Advisor Made Wardiyasa.
Copyright © 2019 Rotary News
You can read all past articles of
Rotary News at www.BaliAdvertiser.biz